">

Monday, August 15, 2005

Ahhh, Sweet Anarchy!

I'm way behind the curve on this little item, with never a suspicion that it would exist. Probably because I hadn't given it any thought. However, it's one of those things that draw an instant I WANT ONE from me when I do finally learn of it's existence. From Wired:
If you've ever been stuck in traffic longing for a magic box that could turn all your red lights to green, beware: Acting on that fantasy became a federal crime this week.

The Safe Intersections Act, part of the transit bill signed Wednesday by President Bush, makes it a misdemeanor for unauthorized users to wield a "traffic signal pre-emption transmitter," a special remote control used by police, firefighters and ambulance drivers to change traffic lights to green as they approach an intersection.

[...]
So here is a handy little device that is illegal to own, sell, possess or use, and I want one. Go figure.

Vendors sell these to official buyers for $500 and up. However:

timing-circuit.gif




schematic for mobile infrared transmitters (MIRT)





Schematic, parts list and instructions to DIY (do it yourself) seem to be available at I-Hacked.com, for what it's worth.

Technorati : , , , , , ,